Maskanah is a village in central Syria, located in the region of Homs, some 135 km north of the capital, Damascus. St. Mary’s Church was built there in 1760 as a part of the Syriac Orthodox Archdiocese of Homs, Hama and Tartous. The church was last renovated in 1920. Maskanah was predominantly Syriac Orthodox and Catholic, with a population of 4,430 according to the 2004 census. During the war St. Mary’s Church suﬀered damage from mortar shell attacks. The church was built on a rock giving it a certain degree of stability, but despite this two walls and the ceiling collapsed due to the shelling.