The Armenian Forty Martyrs’ Church compound dates back to the 15th Century and is located in Jdeydeh, Aleppo. It was built to replace a small cemetery chapel and was enlarged with a Prelacy Building. It was one of four churches grouped together in a courtyard accessed by a single gate. The others were: the Dormition of Our Lady Greek Orthodox Church, St. Elijah’s Maronite Church and Mother of God Armenian Church (currently the Zerehian Treasury). The bell tower was built in 1912 and later the church underwent the massive renovation.
The church housed relics and icons including “The Last Judgment” dated 1703 and other artefacts. On several occasions the church served as a temporary seat to the Armenian Catholicoi of the Holy See of Cilicia. The church has been at the centre of Armenian community life in Aleppo.
In April 2015 the church was bombed. Some sources claim explosives were placed underneath the structure through underground tunnels; other sources suggest that the destruction was caused by shelling. There was damage to the church hall, the walls, the courtyard and the gate. The Prelacy of the Armenian Apostolic Church confirmed that the attack on the church took place on April 28, 2015.